Stondon Lower School aims to equip children with essential skills for life, aided through our values education and focus on growth mindset. However, we believe that good quality arts and cultural provision also play an essential part in this as it enables development of the whole child, building confidence and creativity. These factors help to build a stimulating and supportive learning environment, challenging children whilst encouraging them to have a love of learning beyond their school day.
However, at Stondon Lower, we consider ourselves to be an outwards facing school and so are always looking for ways to improve our current art and cultural provision. Therefore, this year we have embarked on our Artsmark journey to reach silver which has been enjoyed by all and widened opportunities for children and staff. To engage pupils on our Artsmark journey, KS1 have completed the culture challenge and KS2 have completed Discover Arts Awards:
KS1 culture challenge:
- All children took part in a range of art and cultural tasks which included music, poetry, culture and craft.
- Some children visited cultural places such as museums and galleries.
- 94% of KS1 gained their culture challenge certificate.
- Work has been displayed and certificates presented in a celebration assembly.
KS2 National Discover Arts Award:
- All children designed and created a Roman themed art piece, researched an artist and presented their arts journey to peers.
- Children also took part in workshops from visiting art professionals: an architect, photographer, fashion designer and dancer.
- After moderation, 98% of children gained their Discover Arts Award.
- A pupil survey also demonstrates the high level of engagement and enthusiasm from the children as 95% of children expressed their enjoyment in taking part and 87% of children now want to do another Arts Award in the future to aid their personal art progression.
- Parents enjoyed the Arts Award exhibition and celebration presentation and many children equally expressed their enthusiasm as a result of this award:
I now want to build a house made out of glass!
I can still remember the dance moves from our visitor now.
If you would like to see regular updates about our progress towards reaching the silver Artsmark, please refer to our fortnightly newsletter which throughout the year, will contain updates for our arts journey.